Job Number 19094702
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Central Canada Sales Office| 2425 Matheson Blvd. E.| Suite 100 |
Mississauga| Ontario| Canada
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company| with more brands|
more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We
believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So| we ask|
where will your journey take you?
Directs the day-to-day operations for a team of group sales managers selling
for hotels at the 1-50 Group Sales peak room night parameters. Works in
partnership with the Sr. Director of the Canada Sales Office to maintain the
effectiveness| quality| and productivity of the opportunity management team.
Partners closely with the Market Sales team and hotels to successfully execute
the sales strategy by focusing on transactional excellence for customer
accounts served in the market. Handles incoming leads for group business|
aligns customer preferences with brand needs| and actively up-sells each
business opportunity to maximize revenues and drive customer loyalty.
Maintains knowledge of group transactions and a detailed understanding of
property operations| food and beverage| and planning. Builds and maintains
strong working relationships internally to enable cross-functional
communication and opportunity development.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the sales and marketing|
guest services| front desk| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration|
Marketing| Hotel and Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years
experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4 year college degree.
• Supervisory experience.
• Experience selling group business| either at a property or in a sales
• Knowledge of property operations| Food and Beverage (F&B).
• Knowledge of the group sales process for all brands and how to close a sale.
• Team-based selling experience.
• Hospitality Management Degree.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Sales Activities
• Partners with Market Sales team and properties to execute sales strategies
and close group and catering business within the parameters handled by the
Group Sales teams within the Sales Office
• Manages and deploys sales resources to close the best opportunities for each
property based on market conditions and individual property needs.
• Manages the execution of activities to drive financial results| guest
satisfaction| human capital index| and market share.
• Interprets market data to assist team members execute group sales
• Monitors transfer of accurate| complete| and timely information to Sales and
Event Management resources.
• Understands and uses property Event Satisfaction Survey (ESS) to analyze
opportunities for improved customer service.
• Identifies and implements improvements to drive continuous improvement in
• Serves as an authority on sales processes and sales contracts.
• Implements process improvements and best practices.
• Works in partnership with Sr. Director| CSO and Revenue Management partners
to maintain proper pricing| appropriate transient and group mix| and
implementation of sales strategy.
• Responds in a timely manner to incoming group/catering opportunities that
are within the parameters of the Group Sales teams within the Sales Office.
• Refers opportunities to appropriate sales associate if business is outside
the Group Sales parameters.
• Understands the overall market (e.g.| competitors’ strengths and weaknesses|
economic trends| supply and demand) and how to sell against them.
• Verifies that business booked is within hotel parameters.
• Closes the best opportunities for each property based on market conditions
and individual property needs.
• Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g.|
generating proposal| writing contract| customer correspondence).
• Transfers accurate| complete| and timely information to property in
accordance with brand standards.
• Up-sells each business opportunity to maximize revenue for individual
• Understands and utilizes company marketing initiative/incentives to close on
• Follows up on opportunities uncovered by Sales Executives.
• Leverages other Group Sales resources and administrative/support staff to
achieve personal and team related revenue goals.
• Handles incoming leads for group business| aligns customer preferences with
brand needs| and actively up-sells each business opportunity to maximize
revenues and drive customer loyalty.
• Partners closely with the Market Sales leadership and the hotels to
successfully execute the sales strategy by focusing on transactional
excellence for customer accounts served in the market.
• Maintains knowledge and experience of group transactions and a detailed
understanding of property operations| food and beverage| and planning.
• Performs other duties| as assigned| to meet business needs.
Building Successful Relationships
• Builds and maintains strong working relationships internally to enable
cross-functional communication and opportunity development.
• Drives customer loyalty through excellent customer service throughout the
• Effectively resolves guest issues that arise as a result of the sales
process and brings issues to the attention of property leadership team as
• Identifies and addresses Customer and Guest Satisfaction issues with sales
team in order to improve results| create customer loyalty| and increase market
• Works collaboratively with other sales channels (e.g.| Market Sales| on-
property resources) to establish coordinated sales efforts that are
complementary and not duplicative.
• Drives customer loyalty through excellent customer service throughout the
• Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending
appropriate features and services that best meet their needs.
• Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to
enable future bookings| and key internal and external stakeholders.
• Creates clear expectations for customers and properties throughout the sales
• Directs the day-to-day operations for a team of group sales managers selling
for full service hotels at the 1-50 peak room night parameters.
• Verifies that the team achieves and/or exceeds targeted revenue and booking
• Verifies that team members establish clear expectations for customers and
properties throughout the sales process.
• Manages and deploys sales resources within their “pod” to close the best
opportunities for each property based on market conditions and individual
• Creates individual performance objectives for team members based on the
group’s goals and tracks progress regularly against these objectives.
• Manages the group pod’s performance (e.g.| revenue| operational excellence|
customer satisfaction) and manages the group’s operating budget.
• Partners with Human Resources (HR) to attract| develop| and retain the right
people in order to support the strategic priorities of the Group Sales team.
• Creates effective structures| processes| and jobs| and adheres to
performance management systems.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership
Performance Process (LPP)| aligns performance and rewards| addresses
performance issues| and holds staff accountable for successful results.
• Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by
assessing| selecting| retaining| and developing diverse| high-caliber talent
that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for
• Continues to upgrade the sales & marketing talent and works with HR to
anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans.
• Creates and sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable
treatment and associate satisfaction to maintain business success.
• Coaches and develops the group pod’s sales skills.