Job Number 19136165
Job Category Event Management
Location The Westin Harbour Castle| Toronto| 1 Harbour St| Toronto|
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
Responsible for preparing all event documentation and coordinates with Sales|
property departments and customer to ensure consistent| high level service
throughout pre-event| event and post-event phases of property events. This
position primarily handles events of average complexity. Ensures their
property events have a seamless turnover from sales to service back to sales.
Recognizes opportunities to maximize revenue opportunities by up-selling and
offering enhancements to create outstanding events.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; experienced (1 – 2 years of experience) in the
event management or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant
Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or related major; at least 1
year experience in the event management or related professional area required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Event Logistics and Operations
• Ensures that events progress seamlessly by following established procedures|
collaborating with other employees| and ensuring accuracy.
• Greets customer during the event phase and hands-off to the Event Operations
team for the execution of details.
• Adheres to all standards| policies| and procedures.
• Ensures billing accuracy and conducts bill reviews with the clients prior to
processing the final bill.
• Manages group room blocks and meeting space for average to large-sized
• Identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and
determines how to best work with the property staff and customer to solve
these challenges and/or develop alternative solutions.
• Uses his/her judgment to integrate current trends in event management and
• Acts as liaison between field sales person and customer throughout the event
process (pre-event| event| post-event).
• Participates in customer site inspections and assists with the sales process
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Solicits feedback from the property departments to identify areas for
improvement to enhance the Event Planner’s experience.
Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Delivers excellent customer service throughout the customer experience and
encourages the same from other employees.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Coordinates and communicates event details both verbally and in writing to
the customer and property operations.
• Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process.
• Oversees his/her customer experiences from file turnover through the post
event phase until turnover back to sales.
• Follows up with customer post-event.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Uses personal judgment and expertise to enhance the customer experience.
• Stays available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous
• Works to continually improve customer service by integrating obtained
feedback and personal judgment into action plans.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
• Ensures hourly employees understand expectations and parameters for event
Leading Event Management Teams
• Conducts formal pre- and post-event meetings as required to
review/communicate group needs and feedback.
• Leads formal pre-event and post-event meetings for average to large-sized
• Facilitates various meetings as he/she perceives necessary (Banquet Event
Order meeting| block review| etc).
Supporting and Coordinating with the Sales and Marketing Function
• Assists in the sales process and revenue forecasting for customer groups.
• Up-sells products and services throughout the event process.
• Forecasts group sleeping rooms and event revenue (catering and audio visual)
for his/her groups.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with employees.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals
• Assists in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
• Take initiative to use his/her experience to improve service performance
according to his/her evaluation of the issue and resolution.
• Works with the property staff and customers to address operational
challenges associated with his/her group.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when
experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
• Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing
and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making – Identifies and understands
issues| problems| and opportunities; obtains and compares information from
different sources to draw conclusions| develop and evaluate alternatives and
solutions| solve problems| and choose a course of action.
• Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey
confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and
represents the company in alignment with its values.
• Building and Contributing to Teams – Actively participates as a member
of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
• Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self
and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates| focuses|
and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment
goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to
set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work
requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
• Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds
openness| trust| and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and
• Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on
an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s
• Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse
styles| abilities| motivations| and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes
differences to drive innovation| engagement and enhance business results; and
ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of own
assignments and suggests improvements to work processes to best fit the needs
and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
• Talent Management – Provides support and feedback to help individuals
develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities
to improve performance of self and/or others.
• Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to
manage everyday operations.
• Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and
knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
o Event Planning – The ability to connect with customers| detail events|
upsell products and services| manage multiple customers at a given time| be
detailed orientated| understand and have a working knowledge of catering and
event management systems.
o Event Services – Have a working knowledge of standards and procedures
for proper meeting room and table set-ups| various meeting room and table
configurations and the set-up of staging and dance flooring.
• Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for
accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software
(e.g.| personal computers| word processing software| Internet browsers| etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add| subtract|
multiply| or divide quickly| correctly| and in a way that allows one to solve
o Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand
information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences
and paragraphs in work-related documents.
o Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the
needs of the audience.