Job Number 19159238
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location JW Marriott Parq Vancouver| 39 Smithe Street| Vancouver| British
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and
Marriott Hotels | Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than
500 global locations| is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can
travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels| you will help keep this
promise by delivering premium choices| sophisticated style| and well-crafted
details. With your skills and imagination| together we will innovate and
reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International|s luxury portfolio and
consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and
distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come
first. Because if you’re happy| our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as
that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other| where you’ll be
part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-
workers. JW creates opportunities for training| development| recognition and
most importantly| a place where you can really pursue your passions in a
luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take
care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property|s Rooms Operations.
Areas of responsibility include Front Office| | Recreation/Health Club and
Housekeeping. Position works with direct reports (department heads) to develop
and implement departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand
service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures Rooms Operations
meet the brand’s standards| targets customer needs| ensures associate
satisfaction| focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial
performance of the department. As a member of the Executive Committee|
develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and
services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target
customer and associates and provides a return on investment to the owner and
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration|
Hotel and Restaurant Management| or related major; 4 years experience in the
guest services| front desk| housekeeping| sales and marketing| management
operations| or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor|s degree in Business Administration| Hotel and Restaurant
Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services| front
desk| housekeeping| sales and marketing| management operations| or related
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for the
brand’s target customer.
• Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward
toward achievement of goals.
• Works with Rooms management team to develop an operational strategy that is
aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
Managing Revenue Goals
• Monitors Rooms operations sales performance against budget.
• Reviews reports and financial statements to determine Rooms operations
performance against budget.
• Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate|
wages and controllable expenses.
• Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual
wages| coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holding team
accountable for results.
Leading Operations and Department Teams
• Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and
ensures alignment amongst the Rooms leadership teams.
• Develops systems to enable associates to understand guest satisfaction
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to
produce desired results.
Managing the Guest Experience
• Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate
corrective action is taken.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain
feedback on quality of product| service levels and overall satisfaction.
• Creates an atmosphere in all Rooms and Food and Beverage areas that meets or
exceeds guest expectations.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Facilitates the development of creative solutions to overcome obstacles and
ensures implementation to continually improve guest satisfaction results.
• Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures that regular| ongoing communication is happening in Rooms (e.g.|
pre-shift briefings| staff meetings).
• Fosters associate commitment to providing excellent service| participates in
daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all
interactions with guests and associates.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings
with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review
process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Solicits associate feedback| utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews
associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently|
disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard
and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review
• Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to
Standard Operating Procedures.
• Champions change| ensures brand and regional business initiatives are
implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.