Job Number 19106602
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location The Westin Bayshore| Vancouver| 1601 Bayshore Dr| Vancouver|
British Columbia| Canada
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
Responsible for all front office functions and staff as well as security staff
functions. Areas of responsibility include Bell Staff| Switchboard Operations|
Guest Services/Front Desk| Retail/Gift Shop| Concierge| Valets| and Security|
as applicable. As a department head| directs and works with managers and
employees to successfully execute all front office operations| including guest
arrival and departure procedures. Works to establish a safe and secure
environment for all guests and associates. Strives to continually improve
guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial performance of the
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the guest services| front
desk| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant
Management| Hospitality| Business Administration or related major; 4 years
experience in the guest services| front desk| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Front Desk| Guest Services| and Security Teams
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations.
Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees|
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees
and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Ensures recognition of employees is taking place across areas of
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions
for each position and monitors progress.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team
Managing Guest Services and Front Desk Teams
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Manages day-to-day operations| ensuring the quality| standards and meeting
the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize| organize| and accomplish
• Keeps Front Office team focused on the critical components of operations to
drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
• Conducts department meetings and continually communicates a clear and
consistent message regarding department goals to produce desired results.
• Supervises and coordinates all activities for luggage attendants| garage
valets| door attendants| and concierge.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service| operational needs and
financial objectives are met.
• Understands the impact of Front Office operations on the Rooms area and
overall property financial goals.
• Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted
• Provide recommendations and reports for capital expenditures| repairs and
maintenance programs for all front office areas.
• Handle guest complaints and verify that all guest issues are resolved.
Managing Security Team
• Protects property and provides a safe environment for guests and staff.
• Oversees all on-duty security personnel| including dispatcher.
• Supervises and coordinates job assignments and verifies that each officer is
briefed on the day’s activities.
• Complies information and files written security reports.
Managing Projects and Policies
• Verifies compliance with all Front Office policies| standards and
• Verifies property policies are administered fairly and consistently|
disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard
and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Coordinates activities with other hotel departments in order to facilitate
incrased levels of communication and guest satisfaction.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Supervises and managing employees. Managing all day-to-day operations.
Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees|
• Acts as the “Service Champion” for the Front Office and creates a positive
atmosphere for guest relations.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality| exemplifies excellent customer
service| and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Verifies that all Front Office areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to
the overall guest experience.
• Reviews comment cards| guest satisfaction results and other data to identify
areas of improvement.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching| mentoring| or
otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates| including setting
performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Establishes challenging| realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation
• Solicits employee feedback| utilizes an “open door” policy| and reviews
employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or
• Verifies employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for Front Office Staff.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
• Interviews and hires managers and hourly employee team members with the
appropriate skills and in a timely manner to meet the business needs of the
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Informs and/or updates the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant information in a timely manner.
• Identifies and analyzes departmental operational challenges and facilitates
the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.