Job Number 19099540
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel| 123 Queen St W| Toronto| Ontario|
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Sheraton| we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by
our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love
what we do| and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests
stay with us| it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an
experience. We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything
they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the
lives of those around you| we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property’s food and
beverage/culinary operation| including Restaurants/Bars| Room Service and
Banquets/Catering| where applicable. Position oversees the development and
implementation of departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the
brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures the food
and beverage/culinary operation meets the brand’s target customer needs|
ensures employee satisfaction| and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing
the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements property-
wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs
and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees and
provides a return on investment.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage|
culinary| event management| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management|
Hotel and Restaurant Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or
related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage| culinary| event
management| or related professional area.
Skills and Knowledge
• Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes
for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs
assessment| meeting quality standards for services| and evaluation of customer
• Management of Financial Resources – Determining how money will be spent
to get the work done| and accounting for these expenditures.
• Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management
principles involved in strategic planning| resource allocation| human
resources modeling| leadership technique| production methods| and coordination
of people and resources.
• Applied Business Knowledge – Understanding market dynamics| enterprise
level objectives and important aspects of the company’s business to accurately
diagnose strengths and weaknesses| anticipate opportunities and risks|
identify issues| and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and
team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
• Management of Material Resources – Obtaining and seeing to the
appropriate use of equipment| facilities| and materials needed to do certain
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage/Culinary Goals
• Sets expectations and holds food and beverage leadership team accountable
for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Food and Beverage
is performing against budget.
• Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and
renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
• Works with food and beverage leadership team to determine areas of concern
and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
• Establishes challenging| realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation
• Strives to improve service performance.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Develops and manages Food and Beverage budget.
• Monitors the department’s actual and projected sales to ensure revenue goals
are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
• Ensures cash control and liquor control policies are in place in food &
beverage areas and followed by all related employees.
• Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee
Leading Food and Beverage/Culinary Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Develops means to improve profit| including estimating cost and benefit|
exploring new business opportunities| etc.
• Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging
existing processes| encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Ensures that regular| on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and
beverage (e.g.| pre-meal briefings| staff meetings| culinary team).
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with direct
reports and entire food & beverage team. Ensures direct reports do the same
for their team.
• Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the
brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches| mentors| or
otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products
to meet or exceed customer expectations| generate increased revenue and ensure
a competitive position in the market.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Reviews findings from comment cards and guest satisfaction results with F& B
team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Reviews comment cards| guest satisfaction results and other data to identify
areas of improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent guest service.
• Estimates cost and benefit ratio| maintaining balance between profit and
• Shares plans to take corrective action based on comment cards and guest
satisfaction results with property leadership.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates| including setting
performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Coaches and supports food & beverage leadership team to effectively manage
wages| food & beverage cost and controllable expenses (e.g.| restaurant
supplies| uniforms| etc.).
• Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong
functional expertise| creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the
business needs of the operation.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review
process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Ensures that expectations and objectives are clearly communicated to
subordinates; subordinates are also open to raise questions and/or concerns.
• Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance.
• Informs and/or update the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Estimate food| liquor| wine| and other beverage consumption in order to
anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
• Order and purchase equipment and supplies.