Job Number 19154544
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location Calgary Marriott Downtown Hotel| 110 Ninth Avenue SE| Calgary|
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and
Marriott Hotels | Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than
500 global locations| is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can
travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels| you will help keep this
promise by delivering premium choices| sophisticated style| and well-crafted
details. With your skills and imagination| together we will innovate and
reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International|s luxury portfolio and
consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and
distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come
first. Because if you’re happy| our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as
that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other| where you’ll be
part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-
workers. JW creates opportunities for training| development| recognition and
most importantly| a place where you can really pursue your passions in a
luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take
care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Entry level management position that focuses on supporting the day-to-day
activities of Rooms Operations and supervision of related areas that include
Housekeeping| Recreation. Laundry| Staff| AYS and Concierge/Guest Services.
Position directs and works with employees to carry out guest arrival and
departure procedures and to maintain the property’s cleanliness standards.
Strives to ensure guest and employee satisfaction and achieve the operating
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the guest services| front
desk| housekeeping| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant
Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or related major; 2 years
experience in the guest services| front desk| housekeeping| or related
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Supporting the Management of Rooms Operations Activities
• Opens and closes Front Desk shifts / Housekeeping and ensuring completion of
assigned shift checklist and other duties.
• Runs and reviews critical information contained in room operations reports.
• Understands the functions of the Recreation. Laundry| Housekeeping| Bell
Staff| AYS| Front Desk and Concierge/Guest Services operations.
• Temporarily supervises all areas of the Room Operations department in the
absence of the Room Operations management.
• Operates all department equipment as necessary and reporting malfunctions.
• Ensures employees have the proper supplies and uniforms.
• Understands night audit procedures and being able to comprehend and utilize
reports as necessary.
• Understands and complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
Contributing Information to Support Managing to Budget
• Supervises same day selling procedures to maximize room revenue and
• Verifies accuracy of room rates to maximize revenue opportunities
• Uses budgets| operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to
assist in the management of the Room Operations.
• Participates in the management of departmental controllable expenses to
achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Understands the impact of Room Operations on the overall property financial
goals and objectives.
Providing for and Managing the Guest Experience
• Participates as needed in the investigation of employee and guest accidents.
• Assists in the use of a guest information tracking system to ensure that a
successful repeat guest recognition program is in use to recognize guest
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
levels; effectively responding to and handles guest problems and complaints
seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
• Assists in the review of comment cards and guest satisfaction results with
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Provides support for operational functions as necessary.
• Trains staff and monitoring adherence to all relevant policies and
• Participates in department meetings and continually communicating a clear
and consistent message regarding the Room Operations goals to produce desired
• Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service| operational needs
and financial objectives are met.
• Helps to train employees in safety procedures and supervises their ability
to execute departmental and property emergency procedures.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and providing feedback to
individuals; continuously striving to improve service performance.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
• Participates as needed in the interviewing and hiring of Room operations
employee team members with the appropriate skills.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees; supervising on-
going training initiatives and conducting training when appropriate.
• Communicates performance expectations employees in accordance with job
descriptions for each position.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| giving feedback
to Room Operations Managers on individual employee performance issues.
• Coaches| counsels and encourages employees.
• Participates in employee progressive disciplinary procedures as required.
• Handles employee questions and concerns.
• Participates in an ongoing employee recognition program.
• Effectively schedules employees to business demands and tracks employee time
• Assists in performing the payroll function.
• Oversees daily shift operations and ensures compliance with all policies|
standards and procedures.