Job Number 20001144
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location The Westin Ottawa| 11 Colonel By Dr| Ottawa| Ontario| Canada
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
Functions as the business leader of the property’s sales department for
properties with bookings exceeding parameters of the Group Sales teams within
the Sales Office. Provides day to day leadership to a small team of on-
property sales associates and pulls through a number of above-property sales
channels (e.g.| Market Sales| Sales Office) in order to achieve hotel sales
objectives| booking goals and property revenues. Develops strategic working
relationships with leaders of these sales channels in order to proactively
position and drive sales to the property. Interfaces with the Regional
Marketing & eCommerce team to review collateral and execute the property’s
marketing plan as well as pull through regional and national promotions.
Develops and implements property–wide strategies that deliver products and
services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target
customer profile and property associates and provides a return on investment
to the owner and Marriott International.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration|
Marketing| Hotel and Restaurant Management| or related major; 4 years
experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor|s degree in Business Administration| Marketing| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the sales and
marketing or related professional area.
• 4 year college degree.
• Demonstrated skills in supervising a team.
• Lodging sales experience.
• Hotel industry work experience| demonstrating progressive career growth and
a pattern of exceptional performance.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Sales Activities
• Executes the sales strategy and verifies that individual booking goals are
met for both on-property staff and off-property sales channels.
• Partners with the Market Sales & Sales Office teams to establish successful
account deployment and execution.
• Serves as the sales contact for the General Manager| property leadership
team| Market Sales Sales and Sales Office leaders.
• Serves as the sales contact for customers; serves as the customer advocate.
• Serves as the property sales liaison with Market Sales| Sales Office|
Revenue Management| Event Management| Regional Marketing Communications and
other hotel departments as appropriate.
• Provides customer intelligence in evaluating the market and economic trends
that may lead to changes in sales strategy to meet or exceed customer
• Reviews the Smith Travel Research STAR report| competitive shopping reports
and uses other resources to maintain an awareness of the hotel’s market
• Researches competitor’s sales team strategies to identify ways to grow
occupancy and RevPAR and increase market share.
• Attends sales strategy meetings to provide input on weekly and overall sales
• Participates in business planning with the Regional Marketing & eCommerce
• Suggests innovative marketing ideas and proactively develops deployment
strategies to continue to grow market share.
• Determines and develops marketing communication activities.
• Participates in sales calls with members of the on-property and/or off-
property sales team to acquire new business and/or close on business.
• Identifies public relations opportunities and works with the Regional
Marketing & eCommerce Team to coordinate activities that augment the overall
marketing communication strategy.
• Supports the General Manager by coordinating crisis communications.
• Executes and supports Marriott’s Customer Service Standards and hotel’s
• Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g.|
generating proposal| writing contract| customer correspondence).
• Participates in and practices daily service basics of the brand.Verifies
that the property implements a seamless turnover from sales to operations and
back to sales while consistently delivering high level of service.
• Maintains successful performance by increasing revenues| controlling
expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and Marriott
• Interfaces with the Regional Marketing & eCommerce team to review collateral
and execute the property’s marketing plan as well as pull through regional and
• Performs other duties| as assigned| to meet business needs.
Building Successful Relationships
• Develops strong partnerships with local organizations to further increase
• Develops and manages internal key stakeholder relationships.
• Develops strong community and public relations by obtaining property
participation in local| regional and national tradeshows and client events.
• Executes exemplary customer service to drive customer satisfaction and
loyalty by assisting the customer and monitoring their satisfaction before and
during their program/event.
• Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending the
appropriate features and services that best meet their needs and exceed their
expectations| while building a relationship and loyalty to Marriott.
• Gains understanding of the hotel’s primary target customer and service
expectations; serves the customer by understanding their business| business
issues and concerns| to offer better business solution both prior to| and
during the program/event.
• Monitors the effective resolution of guest issues that arise as a result of
the sales process by creating mechanisms to channel issues to property
leadership and/or other appropriate stakeholders.
• Develops strategic working relationships with leaders of these sales
channels in order to proactively position and drive sales to the property.
• Functions as the business leader of the property’s sales department for
properties with bookings exceeding parameters of the Group Sales teams within
the Sales Office.
• Coaches leaders of revenue generating departments in developing effective
revenue strategies and setting aggressive goals that will drive the property|s
• Develops sales goals and strategies and creates alignment with the brand
• Verifies that Sales team understands and is leveraging Marriott
International (MI) demand engines to full potential.
• Works with Human Resources| Engineering and Loss Prevention to maintain
compliance with local| state and federal regulations and/or union
• Partners with Human Resources to attract| develop and retain the right
people in order to support the strategic priorities of the market.
• Verifies that effective structures| processes| jobs and performance
management systems are in place.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership
Performance Process (LPP)| aligns performance and rewards| appropriately
address performance issues and holds staff accountable for successful results.
• Forecasts talent needs and manages talent acquisition strategy with Human
Resources (HR) to minimize lost time due to turnover.
• Keeps an active list of the competition’s best sales people and executes a
recruitment and acquisition plan with HR.
• Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by
assessing| selecting| retaining and developing diverse| high-caliber talent
that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for
the future; continues to upgrade the sales talent; works with HR to anticipate
future talent needs based on business growth plans.
• Identifies| trains and mentors group sales associates; utilizes all
available on the job training tools for associates.
• Transfers functional knowledge and develops group sales skills of other
• Provides day to day leadership to a small team of on-property sales
associates and pulls through a number of above-property sales channels (e.g.|
Market Sales| Sales Office) in order to achieve hotel sales objectives|
booking goals and property revenues.