Job Number 20020119
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel| 1201 Rene-Levesque Blvd West|
Montreal| Quebec| Canada
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Sheraton| we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by
our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love
what we do| and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests
stay with us| it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an
experience. We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything
they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the
lives of those around you| we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
Manages all restaurant operations and staff on a daily basis. Areas of
responsibility include Restaurants/Bars and Room Service. As a department
head| directs and works with the food and beverage/culinary management team
and employees to successfully execute all restaurant operations. Strives to
continually improve guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial
performance in areas of responsibility.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage|
culinary| event management| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management|
Hotel and Restaurant Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or
related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage| culinary| event
management| or related professional area.
Skills and Knowledge
• Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes
for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs
assessment| meeting quality standards for services| and evaluation of customer
• Economics and Accounting – Knowledge of economic and accounting
principles and practices| P&L statements| operating budgets| forecasting and
scheduling| and the reporting of financial data.
• Analytical/Critical Thinking – The ability to gather and organize
information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and
relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications| problems
and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems;
evaluate strengths| weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and
approaches to solving problems.
• Management of Financial Resources – Determining how money will be spent
to get the work done| and accounting for these expenditures.
• Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management
principles involved in strategic planning| resource allocation| human
resources modeling| leadership technique| production methods| and coordination
of people and resources.
• Applied Business Knowledge – Understanding market dynamics| enterprise
level objectives and important aspects of the company’s business to accurately
diagnose strengths and weaknesses| anticipate opportunities and risks|
identify issues| and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and
team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
• Food Production and Presentation – Knowledge of techniques and
equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal)
for consumption| including storage/handling techniques and sanitation
• Management of Material Resources – Obtaining and seeing to the
appropriate use of equipment| facilities| and materials needed to do certain
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Day-to-Day Operations
• Estimate food| liquor| wine| and other beverage consumption in order to
anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
• Facilitates pre-meal briefings with the Chef and Restaurant Managers to
educate restaurant staff on menu items including ingredients| preparation
methods and unique tastes.
• Maintains service and sanitation standards in restaurant| bar/lounge and
room service areas.
• Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
• Oversees the booking and manages service of restaurant parties| special
events and room service hospitality suites.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Manages department|s controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted
• Understands the impact of department|s operation on the overall property
Leading Food and Beverage Team
• Establishes challenging| realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Develops means to improve profit| including estimating cost and benefit|
exploring new business opportunities| etc.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches| mentors| or
otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Acts as the guest service role model for the restaurants| sets a good
example of excellent customer service| and creates a positive atmosphere for
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality| exemplifies excellent customer
service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Ensures cash control and liquor control procedures are followed by all
Restaurant| Bar/Lounge and Room Service employees.
• Ensures compliance with all food & beverage policies| standards and
procedures by training| supervising| follow-up and hands on management.
• Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
• Ensures staff understands all applicable liquor laws.
• Establishes guidelines for customer service so employees understand
expectations and parameters.
• Strives to improve service performance.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Estimates cost and benefit ratio| maintaining balance between profit and
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with
a focus on continuous improvement.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
• Meets with guests on an informal basis during meals or upon departure to
obtain feedback on quality of food and beverage| service levels and overall
• Responds effectively to guest problems and handles complaints.
• Reviews guest satisfaction feedback with employees to develop appropriate
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates| including setting
performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Ensures that expectations and objectives are clearly communicated to
subordinates; subordinates are also open to raise questions and/or concerns.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions
for each position and monitors progress.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Interviews and hires management and hourly employees with the appropriate
skills to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals
and or managers.
• Informs and/or update the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and